Saturday, February 23, 2013

Interviews

I interviewed six of my students.  Most of them didn't last very long at all, but one student had a lot of opinions to offer.  The interview transcription can be found here.  This is a student who always turned in her homework before we changed the homework system.  She  also always turns in her homework now.  She also saves her sticks, this week she only used 6 sticks in the stick store.  This week, it got to a point where I had to borrow sticks from her and give her an I owe you post it note to keep in her stick bag because I didn't have any more sticks to give to those who were turning in homework.  This was not because so many students were turning in homework this week.  It was because we had not had stick store in a long time.

I also interviewed another student who never did his homework before when it was required.  However, now, with the reward he has been completing spelling assignments on a regular basis.  Here is his interview.  I found it interesting that when I asked him if he has done more or less homework with the change in our homework policy he said that he does the same amount, which is not the case, he does more!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Liz-

I love the interviews that you have done this week! What a difference between the two as far as one being more open and chatty and the other not so much. :) Both interviews are awesome and are great representations of how students really do respond when we try to seek out their advice and help on topics (homework). Did you have a list of questions typed up beforehand and then just weed through them as you interviewed? I have given one interview and plan on interviewing a few more participants tomorrow. Thank for posting this! I bet this data will be VERY helpful with your write up!